Thursday, August 30, 2012

Learning by the Lake

This past weekend we were able to take a trip to Missouri for fishing on the family lake. We love going and spending time unplugged from everything. Sometimes it is so nice to just kick back and relax!


Even though we were on a mini vacation, the kiddos still got some great learning time in. Nature makes a wonderful text book, and we saw lots of interesting creatures and plants.


I, of course, Lesson Plan, and have detailed assignments for most days of our school week. Sometimes though I make myself just toss them out. Learning isn't only in the books and worksheets, but also in life. You can learn about fish and reptiles in a book, but it's so much more interesting to examine a fish and take pictures of one in person. You can learn about water snakes and lizards or you could check them out in person. {from a distance on the snake part for me =)}



This weekend we saw a water snake catch and eat a fish, became friends with a lizard, observed birds, examined tons of native plants (can we say botany), and fished. My kiddos can now recognize 3 different types of fish, and have seen what they look like up close. {FYI- Both my Hubby and I believe in catch and release.. all the fish we caught should still be swimming away.... as long as they stay away from that water snake! LOL}
 
Saved and then Released this box turtle near the lake that was trapped on the road.
Learning should be fun, and I would say this weekend was a blast! You don't have to go on a weekend trip to take Science and learning outdoors though. A simply walk or trip to the park can bring your kiddos up close and personal with insects, birds, mammals, possibly reptiles, and tons of native plant life. Who knows... that walk, park adventure, or trip to a lake might just bring you home to the Encyclopedias and Nature books to find out more.... see how that works. =)

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good time at the lake! I love walking around and taking in all of the great things nature has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands on learning always sticks with me. Great pictures, looks like you all had a great time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of using Nature to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree--learning should be fun. I am not a nature person, but my daughter has made me turn into one!! She is the ultimate nature girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great vacation. And smart move throwing in the learning. Having fun while getting educated.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...